This week is Kids Clothes Week Challenge at elsiemarley and I'm going to give it a go. There's a lot I want to make, but it always seems there's never enough time. Well, I figured I could at least try to devote an hour a day to sewing/cutting/planning clothes. And that's all the challenge asks you to do. An hour. Which sometimes leads to more...
Well, I just finished my second Audrey Cape (but not this week, other was last month!) and though it wasn't too difficult, or time-consuming, I'm really tickled about it. It may not be totally practical, especially being spring and all, but I just love looking at it. Have you ever smelled new wool? My goodness!
I just saw this wool hounds tooth fabric on sale and had to get.
And I'd been holding onto this vintage button for a while and finally found the perfect use for it!
Here's a shot of the inside linings of the two capes I've made. The closest one is the most recent. Their silky feel really makes the cape feel like a fine coat.
A note on the wool. Both capes were 100% wool, according to the labels. But the wool of the first one was much thinner (not in a bad way) and the drape was more flowy. The hounds tooth cape had a much thicker wool (so thick that I couldn't make my own button by putting the wool in the button maker -- wouldn't fit! hence, the vintage button). Being thicker, the drape is also a bit stiffer. But I also think this cape will be warmer too. Just interesting! I'm learning a lot about fabric, drape, and such as I go.
Well, this post has grown longer than I thought it'd be. Better finish up. Have a great day!
Linking up here: